Thursday, May 7, 2015

On My Wall: Shy Luchmand's Harley Girl



In 1990, George H.W. Bush was drawing a line in the sand, Twin Peaks was preparing to jump the shark in its second season, and culture was still very much locked in the Eighties.  I had landed in London for my second year of law school, where me and me mates had managed to rent the top two floors of a Clapham row house belonging to an elderly Irish couple who always made it available to Notre Dame students abroad.  One look at the price of burritos in the Taco Bell on Piccadilly and I knew I needed to watch my pounds sterling, at least enough to keep my local willingly pouring pints of Guinness for me between classes.

Of course, this frugality didn't last long, and soon enough I was spending as frivolously as ever.  A poster of a Harley Girl was probably one of the first luxuries I treated myself to.  I found her at the Camden Lock flea market one sunday, so I must've still been trying to pinch my pence a bit.  Nevermind who Shy Luchmand is; apparently he's some photographer, somewhere south of Man Ray, and West of Nagel.  I liked her because, like the Eighties, she radiated style, rebellion, and edge.  Flannel and combat boots was still a good couple of years away.  Leather, chrome, and shades, and studiously tousled locks of blonde were still not ironic.

When I left London, I left her on my wall in Clapham along with an empty bottle of Beaujolais covered with a year's accumulation of candle wax.  If I could find an actual poster sized image of her, instead of this blown up thumbnail, I'd pay the equivalent worth today of what I paid then, on the cobblestones of Camden.

If this is your image, you must be Shy Luchmand.  Please let me continue to use it.  However, if you disapprove, feel free to let me know and I will take it down.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you know anything about this photo? I have a small poster of this and have no idea where it came from.

Anonymous said...

I bought this poster and frame in a vintage store a couple months back and there seems to be little to no information on it. It is the same women on the motorcycle, however the SHY LUCHMAND text is different.

Anonymous said...

Her name is Mandy Komlosy. She was an actress and dancer, and is now an art historian working in some of the London Museums.
Funnily enough I found this poster in mint condition in my attic yesterday afternoon!

Anonymous said...

I ve got one.

Anonymous said...

Reg England. Mine has the Delinquents printed top right corner