Tuesday, July 8, 2014

We Have No Secrets: Carly Simon & Harry Connick, Jr.

Sometime in 1989 or 1990 I was a first year law student.  I would occasionally drive 2 hours to my cousin's suburban home in Morton Grove, IL, for some home cooking and face-time with my godson.  My departure from Notre Dame those weekends sealed my persona as an outsider in law school.  Nevertheless, I appreciated the escape (try living in a graduate dorm in the winter; it is the nadir of miseries).  My little cherub nephew, a warm living room, a clean and readily available washer and dryer to do my laundry in peace.  And HBO.  My cousin had premium cable and I was able to be a couch potato for a couple days.

One night I was flipping channels in his living room and I came across an intimate performance pairing Carly Simon and then-hot newcomer Harry Connick, Jr. (who had just put out the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack).  I watched what I could, perhaps the last 40 minutes or so, and found myself transfixed by Carly's beauty and talent.  This song never left my memory; the clapping hands providing the timekeeping, and Harry on double-bass.  The performance disappeared, evanescent, and I never saw it again.  Until I searched for it and found it on YouTube today.*  It is exactly as I remember it.





*In fact, I searched for it on the very same YouTube a few years ago, to no avail, so it's appearance, finally, is a nice turn of events.

2 comments:

M.Lane said...

This is tremendous! I wonder what the name of the show was. I am also glad that HCJ got a serious wardrobe upgrade after this...

Carly Simon, that look, that VOICE, and that trust fund. Wow.

ML

Ben said...

Ha! I WAS going to comment on Harry's waist coat, but I'll leave the style blogging to you, Tintin, and Mr. Off the Cuff.

I did a little research yesterday after posting this and discovered the concert was called My Romance: Carly in Concert, and only partially involved Harry. I am gratified to note that I was correct; this was an HBO broadcast from 1990. It does not appear to be available in any format now, but if you search for it on YouTube, you'll find the whole concert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Romance_(album)